For dinner tonight I tried this new recipes with beets. I have to confess that I have never had beets before (i know, that's silly). Also, whenever I think of beets I think of Dwight from The Office. But, this recipe was amazing. Definitely in my top 5 for several reasons:
1. very quick and easy to make
2. light but still a filling meal
3. only 700 calories
4. easy cleanup
5. affordable ingredients
Plus- it photographs pretty well! I will probably make this the next time I have guests in town!
Ingredients:
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
½ C Semi-Pearled Farro
2 Ounces Arugula
1 Red Beet
1 Bunch Mint
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
2 T Pistachios
1 Shallot
2 T Crumbled Goat Cheese
2 Teaspoons Za'atar Spice Blend (1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, 1 Tbsp. sumac, 1 Tbsp. ground cumin, and 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds. Stir in 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper)
Directions:
- Heat 1 large pot of salted water and 1 small pot of salted water to boiling on high.
- Once the large pot of water is boiling add the farro and cook 16 to 18 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and return to the pot.
- While the farro cooks, wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Cut off and discard the root ends of the beet and peel and medium dice (I used a red cutting board since the beets can stain).
- Peel and mince the shallot and place in a medium bowl with the vinegar. (I added extra vinegar to thoroughly soak)
- Finely chop the arugula and pick the mint leaves off the stems and discard the stems.
- While the farro continues to cook, add the beet to the small pot of boiling water and cook 14 to 16 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and rinse under cold water for 20 to 30 seconds to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer to the bowl of shallot-vinegar mixture and add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the beet cooks, season on both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper and the za’atar spice blend.
- In a medium pan heat 2 teaspoons of butter on medium-high until hot and add the seasoned chicken.
- Cook, loosely covering the pan with aluminum foil, 4 to 6 minutes per side and transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board.
- Add the arugula to the pot of cooked farro and drizzle with olive oil and stir to combine before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the cooked chicken crosswise on an angle.
- Divide the farro salad between 2 plates and add the dressed beet.
- Add the sliced chicken and garnish with the mint, goat cheese and pistachios.
Kristin





No comments:
Post a Comment